I am not a medical professional. I am sharing my experience with my joint pain, which may be Psoriatic Arthritis.
Fifteen year ago, I started writing a blog about my Plantar Fasciitis. I had unbearable pain in my heels. Eventually, it went away, but it lasted, at varying degrees for a few years. Since then, I've had other painful issues in my feet. A few years ago, I was diagnosed with gout in one of my big toes. It began with a slight discomfort but the pain got so intense that I could not walk. I was given prednisone, which cleared it up. Google gout and you will find that it comes on suddenly after a night of drinking and eating red meat and seafood. I do none of these things, so I always doubted the diagnosis.
The gout came at a very stressful time and during the hot summer. I often wondered if it was caused by dehydration.
A few years later, I had Achilles tendinitis. This was also painful to the point that I was unable to put any weight on the affected foot. The back of my foot, also had what seemed what seemed like dry, flaky skin. This is what made me first think of Psoriatic Arthritis.
I recently had two bouts of the Achilles tendinitis, together with extreme fatigue. I don't have any active skin involvement, just a few minor flaky patches. It was months ago now, but I still feel it every day. It's not really painful, just there, like a reminder. I make sure to drink plenty of water (90 ounces/day). I also drink green tea every day. I had read somewhere that this is good for inflammation, which is what both gout and PsA are.
I first saw a rheumatologist a few years ago. She did a lot of blood tests. There is no one single test for PsA (psoriatic arthritis), but a bunch of tests which can rule out other things. I do not have a definite diagnosis. My rheumatologist said she thinks I have either gout or PsA, and she is leaning toward PsA.
After the last flare, she was checking my uric acid levels. This will give her another clue as to what the issue is, but again, it is another test that is not definitive. Just another clue.
If you want more information about any of these conditions, go to a reputable source for medical information, such as the Mayo Clinic or Johns Hopkins.
When I first started researching PsA, there wasn't much information
available. There is much more in 2023, inclding a Facebook group that I belong to where I read the stories of others who have had similar experiences with joint pain.
PsA is also sometimes called Psoriatic Disease, which, to me, is more appropriate since the disease attacks both the joint and the skin.